prostate problems header graphic

Prostate Infection

The Prostate is a portion of the male reproductive system and its function is to emit liquid that aids the transport of sperms. This gland is found right below the bladder, surrounding the urethra tube which drains it.

The infection affecting this gland can arouse it and make it to swell. Prostatitis or the infections of the Prostate frequently occur in men between the age of 30-50 years. However cases consisting of elderly men are also known.

  • Prostatitis can be divided into 4 types. The first 2 syndromes listed are caused by infections. The reasons for the remaining syndromes are not known presently.
  • Acute bacterial prostatitis
  • Recurring (chronic) bacterial prostatitis
  • Recurring (chronic) abacterial prostatitis
  • Prostatodynia (ache in the prostate gland)
  • A recent Wisconsin survey assessed the occurrence of this infection to be around 6%. Whereas when the populace where questioned, the data revealed the rate to be 8%.
  • It is believed that almost 50% of the male population will incur prostatitis at some point. During 1985, more cases were registered for prostatitis than for either benign prostatic hypertrophy or prostate cancer. In the 1990s, USA alone accounted for more around 2 million such cases per year.
  • It is a surprising matter that although it is such a common issue, prostatitis is still very little monitored and understood.

 
Causes for Prostate Infections

Of the total number of cases, only 5% are caused by bacteria. The reasons for the other 95% are not known.

  • Fungi, pubic viruses and other parasites are associated. Due to this, some even share      a common name, for example Escherichia Coli.
  • On odd occasions, organisms like staphylococcal and streptococcal are also blamed for the infection.
  •     There are 2 different ways in which the virus can reach the prostate :
  • The bacteria associated with a preceding urethral infection reach the gland via the prostatic tubes.
  • When contaminated urine moves in the glandular tissue of the prostate, it can cause the infection via the various ejaculatory and prostatic ducts.

 

Prostate Cancer


Home

Causes

Stages

Statistics

Diagnosis

Prognosis

Symptoms

Treatment

Prevention

Gleason Score

Prostate Specific Antigen

Useful Resources

Prostate Cancer

Other Prostate Problems

Prostate Infection

Prostate Infection Symptoms

Surgical Treatment of BPH

Symptoms of BPH

Prostatitis Symptoms

Treatment of prostatitis

Symptoms of Prostate Problems

Symptoms and Diagnosis of Prostatitis

Alpha-Blockers Treatment For Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy

Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy

Causes, Prevention & Treatment Of Prostate Problems

Natural Treatments Of Prostatitis

Prostatitis A chronic Prostate Problem

Prostate Adenoma

Major Prostate Problems

Privacy Policy